The First District Appellate Project is hiring two full-time staff attorneys. Join us in the rewarding work of representing indigent parties in the California Courts of Appeal in criminal, delinquency, child dependency, and civil commitment appeals.
At FDAP, we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace, our legal work, California’s justice system, and the legal profession.
FDAP is a hybrid office with staff working in the office twice per week. A fully remote schedule would be considered for particularly strong candidates.
- training the next generation of appellate panel attorneys by mentoring them in their case work, creating resource materials on new laws and cases, and presenting at seminars;
- supporting experienced and more senior attorneys in their case work;
- direct representation of clients.
- a minimum of 5 years experience handling cases in the California Courts of Appeal (equivalent experience as an appellate court staff attorney or law clerk will be considered);
- experience must include 10 or more direct appeals completed (not including no-issue appeals);
- comfort with public speaking, both at oral argument and as a speaker at training events;
- exemplary research and writing skills;
- excellent technological proficiency: FDAP is a paperless office. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets, the use of electronic transcripts, and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic technology problems is necessary.
Starting salary will depend on experience and will be in the range of $100,000-$140,000.
How to apply:
Position open until filled. Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should apply as early as possible.