Jobs at FDAP
Staff Attorney Vacancy
The First District Appellate Project (FDAP) is hiring a full-time staff attorney. Join us in the rewarding work of representing indigent parties in the California Courts of Appeal in criminal, delinquency, child dependency, and civil commitment appeals.
At FDAP, we are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace, our legal work, California’s justice system, and the legal profession.
- assistance to and oversight of our panel of court-appointed attorneys;
- training of panel attorneys, and creating resource materials;
- some direct representation of clients.
- a minimum of 8 years experience handling cases in the California Courts of Appeal (equivalent experience as an appellate court staff attorney or law clerk will be considered);
- experience must include 10 or more direct appeals completed (not including no-issue appeals);
- comfort with public speaking, both at oral argument and as a speaker at training events;
- exemplary research and writing skills;
- technological proficiency: FDAP is a paperless office. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets, the use of electronic transcripts, and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic technology problems is necessary.
Location: The FDAP office is in downtown Oakland. We enjoy flexible and hybrid work schedules.
Start Date: Must be able to start no later than May 1, 2023.
Salary: $107,000 -$133,000 (depending on experience). Robust benefits package.
How to apply: Click here to complete our short application form and submit your cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples.
Application Deadline: Position open until filled. Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should apply as early as possible.